This includes a collection of current organizations participating in the growing Jewish Food Movement, as well as some examples of Community Food Centers that have been established in other communities.
JEWISH FOOD MOVEMENT
Note there are many, more organizations involved in the Jewish Food Movement. However, exploring these sites will take you to a much broader lists.
- Shoresh in Toronto, ON (The ED and founder will be speaking at FedTalks Sept 9)
- Hazon based out of New York City
- JOFEE Network based out of New York City
- Urban Adamah in Berkeley, CA
- Leichtag in San Diego, CA
- Abundance Farm in Northampton, MA
- Pearlstone Center near Baltimore, MD
- Boulder JCC in Boulder, CO
Community Food Centers in Canada
According to a news article by the Jewish Forward, "The pantry allows poor and near-poor individuals to make their own choices about the food they receive, using a point system based on family size. These clients choose from an online inventory that reflects what’s in stock at that very moment, making this pantry popular, impactful and efficient." Learn More
An organization in Jerusalem that, according to one of our volunteers who visited it, handles food distribution to people across Israel with a very efficient operation for packing bulk grains etc into individual bags. Learn More